Monday, March 30, 2009
I don't normally do what I'd consider wedding jewelry. But after I whipped up this piece, it just screamed Mother of the Bride (am I the only one that sees this?)
Anyway, I put it on Etsy. About time I got something new up there. Check it out!
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
...on my knees, trying to pick up the 4mm Crystal Firepolish glass beads out of my rug that I dropped while trying to put them in their cute little container, I am struck with an idea.
I should make a bracelet called The Carpet Bracelet. It will be a freeform piece featuring all beads I manage to pick out of my rug.
Saturday, March 21, 2009
Apparently March is a very busy month. EstyBloggers ask, “Which of the following means the most to you, why, and how do you celebrate/remember?”
* Irish American Month - I’m neither Irish nor American. I don’t even think either of these can be found ANYWHERE in my ancestry. However I do like potatoes, four leaf clovers, apple pie, and 2 out of 3 colours found in the American flag. I am eligible to become an American citizen however that would mean I’d also be eligible for jury duty. I think my most impressive asset to potential employers is that I will never have to take time off for jury duty.
* Music in Our Schools Month - Don’t they bring their Ipods to school every month??
* National Craft Month - Similar to the response I’d get when I’d ask, “When’s kid’s day?” EVERY month is craft month in my world.
* National Frozen Food Month -On behalf of Stouffers, I’d like to thank you for this honour that we initiated and paid big bucks for. If it warms up enough, I’ll celebrate by eating ice cream. A whole gallon. By myself. Because I care.
* National Irish American Heritage Month- designated by Congress in 1995. - Huh?
* National Nutrition Month - Ok, so I’ll eat something green. Like pistachio ice cream, which would kill two celebrations with one gallon.
* National Peanut Month - Where would the airlines be without peanuts? And while I don’t care for them myself, I do adore peanut butter. Not so much salmonella.
* National Women's History Month - I will celebrate by getting old. I am an undocumented part of women’s history.
* Poetry Month - "The March wind roars
Like a lion in the sky,
And makes us shiver
As he passes by.
When winds are soft,
And the days are warm and clear,
Just like a gentle lamb,
Then spring is here."
- Author Unknown
* Red Cross Month - If they had thrift stores I would celebrate by shopping there. Other than that, I’m all for them but that’s it.
* Social Workers Month - Why do they get a month and secretaries, I mean administrative assistants, only get a day? Do you have to take them out for lunch every day of March?
Thursday, March 12, 2009
Jannadu, your neon lights will shine
For you, Jannadu
Jann Alexander, the Jann behind the Jannadu, is a fellow Esmarts team member. I’m quite fond of Jann’s Etsy shop for the obvious reason. It has a cool name. No, that’s not the only reason. When you go to Jann’s storefront, what’s the first thing you notice? Go ahead, I’ll wait here.
The colours! Jann features an incredible array of bold, bright, vibrant colours. It’s like pulling up the blinds to a dazzling sunny morning.
Jann says her designs are for the Rubenesque woman (large and lovely.) I semi-agree. I think it’s for the larger woman OR the larger personality. Her pieces shout out confidence. Don’t really feel it inside? Doesn’t matter anymore when you wear a Jannadu work of art.
Find Jann on Etsy, Artfire, and at her blog entitled, Art & Artists/Me & My Friends. Very well titled indeed, as Jann truly is an artist.
Wednesday, March 11, 2009
What a lovely surprise - I have been given the Kreativ Blogger Award! Thanks to Rhonda Bracaloni, a truly gifted photographer. She can be found at http://rareimagephotos.blogspot.com/
and in her Etsy shop.
Here are the rules:
List 7 things that you love and then pass the award on to 7 people...tagging them and letting them know they won! Because I've tagged so many of you at one time or another, and due to time constraints, I'm not going to do this part. Don't hate me.
Since I’ve had a few blogs that are AAM (all about me) I’m going to make this quick and painless.
1. Bam Bam
5. Not working
Sunday, March 8, 2009
EtsyBloggers ask, “We are already on March!! What have you accomplished this year in real life or on Etsy?? Have you followed your New Year's resolutions? What are your plans for the rest of 2009?”
Good questions. I know I’ve washed the kitchen floor at least once. As far as New Year’s resolutions, I didn’t make any. I set goals (if I set goals) as the opportunity arises. I don’t see a need, then postpone it until the New Year like a diet (everyone knows diets can only start on Mondays.)
I have taken my jewelry making in a slightly new direction. This year I’m actually (gasp) doing something other than Peyote Stitch. I’m doing some pieces featuring dazzling Swarovski crystals and fire polish beads in triangle weave and right angle weave.
And the rest of 2009? I let my jewelry obsession take me where it chooses so who knows? I do need to knuckle down and get a few more items on Etsy, which means I need to work on my photos. I’d love to be more involved with craft shows however I have to put most of that burden on my mom as I can’t get there early (I work until 1AM.)
And finally I’d like to get off my big fat chair and hit some yard sales.
While I believe in reaching for the stars, I go for the...you know...closer ones.
Saturday, March 7, 2009
Nora’s shop on Etsy features adorable (or should I say a”nora”ble?) polymer clay button earrings. Just the kind of thing that brightens up an entire outfit or a gloomy day. Her line of purses, made by her uncle Naz, run from snazzy & fun to contemporary & classy.
For another quick pick-me-up, check out her blog. It’s fun, fast reading, a bright light in the blog sky.
Wednesday, March 4, 2009
From time to time, I gather small thoughts for my blog. They are too small to warrant their own post, so I put them all together in one crazy, mixed up blog. This is that blog.
1. This title came to me in a dream. Since I have Anthony, I’m not dear hunting (unless you know someone really rich?) and could not come up with anything to go with it. But I really really wanted to use it anyway. (I suppose if I Googled it, I’d find it’s been used, but I don’t even want to know. For now, it’s all mine.)
2. I worked with someone who, every Sunday, would go to the gift shop and buy a newspaper. At the time, I had a subscription so I started bringing in my paper so she’d save a few bucks. Eventually my subscription ended and I did not renew, so I could save a few bucks. Then, I noticed she went back to buying the newspaper on Sundays, and I would find it in the garbage. She’d never even ask if I’d like to read it. So what is that? Inconsideration? Selfishness? Self-centeredness? What???
3. It’s 10 steps to the garbage. Why, poker player, must you throw your trash under the table???
4. Corporations have RUINED Vegas! ‘Nuff said.
5. Sun City, please build in Reno.